OBJECTIVES OF THE IMPACT CAMPAIGN
When Aicha Macky was making the documentary Zinder, her intention went far beyond the aspiration that people would see and appreciate the film. Her aim has always been to draw attention to the social, political and legal injustices that are contributing to a situation that has become untenable, both for the protagonists of the film and the society in which they live.
Through years of sustained neglect, the district of Kara Kara in the Nigerien city Zinder has become vulnerable to radicalisation. In a context of dire poverty, illiteracy, widespread unemployment, institutional injustice and deep social divisions, the options for the inhabitants of Kara Kara are limited.
Our hope, in building an impact campaign is to draw awareness to those issues and then to stimulate and lead a series of initiatives that will address the root causes of these problems and bring about better outcomes for Zinder and communities facing similar challenges all around the world.
We are one and the same. Should we fail to recognise this, we will all go down togetherAïcha Macky, Director
OBJECTIVE 1: RAISE AWARENESS
Amplify the director’s voice and raise awareness of the important issues underlying delinquence and violence :
- ensure the film is as widely seen as possible
- arrange public screenings for those who would not otherwise see the film – those marginalised communities at the heart of the documentary who simply do not have access to cinemas.
- organise targeted screenings for political leaders, government agencies and NGOs who are in a position to bring about positive change.
OBJECTIVE 2: INFORM AND EDUCATE
Ensure that the film’s messages are heard and understood through generating educational material to accompany screenings:
- Establish a Brain Trust of intellectuals, activists and artists to reflect upon the issues raised by the film and contribute to the production of educational resources.
- Produce online educational resources to support those teaching classes and leading public debates.
- Create video capsules about specific themes raised by the film which can be used to stimulate group discussions.
- Provide training for facilitators that will permit them to moderate community debates about issues raised by the film.
OBJECTIVE 3: ACTIVATE NETWORKS AND STIMULATE CHANGE
Stimulate concrete social action by attracting the attention and support of international aid organisations, government agencies, NGOs, private foundations and individual activists:
- Develop partnerships with international aid organisations and ONGs
- create an online platform to assist the inhabitants of Kara-Kara and other marginalised communities to establish links with potential partners and sponsors
- generate written publications and media attention about the campaign